On average, for how long can I wear 3M N95 face mask before it needs to be disposed?

I agree that it depends on several factors, but approximately, for how long it can be worn while filtering most particles properly? one week, a month or half a year...?

How do I know it's time to replace it?
1 Answer
Richard Saint Cyr
Richard Saint CyrMD, NYTimes columnist, blogger, family doctor, Beijing expat, daddy
2.7k Views
I think the standard answer even from 3M is about 7 days of use, give or take. I remember seeing this on one of their brochures years ago but can't find it anymore. But there's some good data below, showing how the 3M mask lost about 50% efficiency after 7 days use. (from   Why 3M N95 Anti-Pollution Face Masks? What is the “right-fit” for you?PureLiving China « PureLiving China) Note how even after a week, it still works better than any new surgical or cotton mask. Usually if it turns super grey or stinky, then it's time for a new one anyway.

  

Comments